The following FAQ will help you and your IT department answer some of the more common questions we receive as institutions implement EverFi online courses. Because EverFi courses are delivered through the Internet, implementation depends on digital networks and computer technology. The success of your implementation is very important to us. If your IT department has additional questions, please email them to email@example.com.
Table Of Contents
I. General Information And FAQs
WHAT TYPE OF MEDIA IS INVOLVED?
Our courses use standard web technologies to deliver courses including HTML5, CSS3, and .mp4 video. Some older browsers do not natively support these technologies and Flash is used to display course content when necessary. The latest version of Flash should always be installed (for security reasons), but our platform supports any version of Flash player newer than 10.0.
WHAT IF THE COMPUTER HAS BOTH AN OLDER VERSION OF FLASH AND A LATER VERSION INSTALLED?
Flash is used first and is used if available; if it is not available (ex: on an iPad), as long as a User has a new/modern browser, the program will then use the browser’s HTML5 audio/video playing capabilities.
WHAT IF WE STRUCTURE OUR NETWORK TO PREVENT USERS FROM INDIVIDUALLY INSTALLING OR UNINSTALLING PROGRAMS ON THE COMPUTERS?
We recommend checking with your IT department to determine which computers at your organization meet our minimum system requirements. If users cannot add or remove programs themselves, your IT department will be required to install any necessary software. Sometimes IT can install software on all computers in your institution. Other times only certain devices will meet our minimum system requirements. If not all computers in your organization are equipped to run EverFi courses it’s important to communicate which device(s) will run trouble-free.
WHAT IF A USER IS HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE AUDIO/VIDEO (LONG PAUSES WHILE THE AUDIO/VIDEO CLIPS LOAD)?
EverFi uses highly available services to deliver its courses. Issues with streaming media are most frequently due to bandwidth limitations resulting from an overutilization of your organization’s network or specific issues with older computer hardware and software. The two most common areas of network congestion are your organization’s internet connection and WiFi access limitations.
IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING ISSUES, HERE ARE SOME THINGS YOU OR YOUR IT TEAM CAN TRY:
- Ensure that you are using our minimum system requirements (Flash 10.0 or later and the latest versions of Chrome, IE, Firefox or Safari). Typically, using the latest version of Chrome will fix most issues.
- Close all other applications and tabs (i.e. iTunes, Facebook, YouTube) and do not have CD’s or DVD’s playing on the computer while viewing the course.
- Switch browsers, but be sure to use another supported browser (Chrome, IE, Firefox or Safari).
- Reboot your computer.
- Uninstall and re-download the latest version of Flash.
- Disable all popup blockers and 3rd party toolbars.
- If using wireless, try connecting your device to a wired Internet connection such as an ethernet jack, which typically offers a faster and more stable connection than wifi.
- Try accessing the course from a different Internet connection, preferably one that is high speed. Other areas of the campus network may provide improved bandwidth or a particular machine may be infected with a bandwidth-consuming virus.
- Try accessing the course at a different time of day (during non-peak hours, i.e. morning). This can address any “traffic jams” in usage on the organization/campus network.
WILL OPENING THE COURSE WITHIN FRAMES CAUSE PROBLEMS?
Yes. When users open our course within a frame of another site or mail client they will experience problems either accessing their account or making progress in their account. Please break out of all frames when linking to our URL from your organization web site/communications.
B. Company Network
DOES THE COURSE REQUIRE THAT MY TEAM DOWNLOAD ANY HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE ON OUR CAMPUS NETWORK?
Our courses are 100% web-based. There is nothing to install unless the machine does not already have Flash 10.0 or later player (Note: if using Chrome, neither Flash nor Acrobat should be necessary to install separately as Chrome has native capabilities for these). We do provide the user with links to these applications, if required and they can be downloaded for free from the Internet. The course uses standard HTTP and HTTPS protocols on ports 80 and 443.
DO I NEED TO MODIFY MY FIREWALL OR PACKET SHAPING DEVICES TO PERMIT ACCESS TO THE EVERFI COURSES?
You will most likely not need to modify your firewall or network shaping devices to allow access. EverFi courses use standard HTTP protocol and ports 80 and 443. The files are all html, jpg, png, gif, aspx, swf or flv files.
Please whitelist both sets of domains from email blocking.
In order to receive our automated emails for account set-up and management, please whitelist the following emails:
Additionally, the mail.everfi.net domain is setup with the proper DKIM and SPF records. You can whitelist based on mail.everfi.net being the mail from or return address domains (*@mail.everfi.net). You can further use DKIM signatures to authenticate the email came from EverFi.
DKIM authentication paired with IP/return path whitelisting should ensure your users will receive critical communications from the EverFi Platform.
I WANT TO MAKE SURE WE AREN’T BLOCKING ACCESS TO YOUR SITE. WHAT DOMAINS SHOULD I MAKE SURE WE PERMIT?
The following are essential to the functioning of our products:
- *.everfi.com— main EverFi website for financial education
- *.everfi.net— primary domain used for dynamic content
- *d1vyejqi0lnyjd.cloudfront.net — content distribution network hosting static content
- https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ — provides certain buttons and icons
- https://fonts.googleapis.com — provides certain buttons and icons
- https://fonts.gstatic.com — provides certain buttons and icons
- *homeroom-assets.s3.amazonaws.com — non-CDN static content
- *everfi-curriculums.s3.amazonaws.com — non-CDN static content
- *everfi-sash.herokuapp.com — badging platform
- *everfi-certs.herokuapp.com — certificate platform
- *.wistia.com — current course video distribution network
- *.wistia.net — current course video distribution network
- *.googleapis.com — Some of our courses use google fonts, which come from this domain.
- *.googleusercontent.com — course fonts and styles
- *.fifoundry.net — EverFi’s central system for user authentication
- *.everfiapps.net — EverFi’s data platform 3 Last Updated: January 2019
- *.prod-everfi-certs.everfiapps.net — EverFi’s data platform
- *.everfi-next.net — new EverFi website for financial education
Optional: The following help us monitor and analyze the health of our application. Blocking these is not recommended, but doing so will not affect application functionally. None of these URL’s facilitate capturing of personal information.
- *.google-analytics.com — This is our web analytics engine. It captures information such as pages visited, total users, time on page, browsers used. All of this information helps us improve courses over time. No personally identifiable information is captured.
- *.chartbeat.com — Real time course usage data – helps with troubleshooting
- *.chartbeat.net — Real time course usage data – helps with troubleshooting
- *.newrelic.com — Platform performance analytics engine – allows us to capture information that we use to improve course performance.
- *youtube.com (for higher ed courses only)
WE USE A PROXY SERVICE TO MANAGE OUR INTERNET TRAFFIC. WILL I NEED TO DO ANYTHING TO ALLOW ACCESS TO YOUR SITE?
Besides whitelisting the domains above, we also recommend adding “crossdomain.xml” as a keyword (not a URL itself) to a custom category that bypasses authentication. This prevents proxy services from preventing the cross-domain requests our services make.
II. System Requirements – Achieve System Requirements
EverFi supports any major web browser released within the previous two-year period. To check your browser version, operating system, or other details, visit supportdetails.com. IE browsers also require Adobe Flash for multimedia content since they cannot use the HTML5 elements for multimedia.
|Browsers||Chrome (latest version since it auto-updates) Firefox (latest version since it auto-updates) Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 Safari 9+|
|Mobile||iOS9.3 or later running on iPad 2 or later. iOS9.3 or later running on iPhone 5 and later. Android 4.4.4+ (KitKat) or later running on Samsung Galaxy S6 and later. Please Note: It is not possible for us to test all device models, therefore we have tried to focus on the most popular and widely used. While Windows Surface tablets, Windows Phone 8 or 10 may work, they are not officially supported and we specifically do not support Blackberry at this time.|
|Flash Player||Some browsers (Internet Explorer specifically) may require Adobe Flash for multimedia content and the course to advance|
|Screen Resolution||This site is best viewed with a minimum 1024x768 resolution. You will be able to view the site using other settings, however some features and formats may appear off-screen and require a user to scroll to see it.|
|Audio/Video||Sound card with either speakers or headphones.|
|Bandwidth||If you do not have broadband and you are using dial-up connection, you will have difficulty using our courses. Each course loads and plays videos and other media on the pages. Broadband connection (e.g. DSL, cable modem or FIOS) with 512kbps bandwidth or better required; dial-up connections will seriously impede full functionality and viewing multimedia content. NOTE: You can test your downstream bandwidth at websites such as http://speedof.me/. Just click Start Test.|
|Chrome (latest version since it auto-updates) Firefox (latest version since it auto-updates) Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 Safari 9+|
|iOS9.3 or later running on iPad 2 or later. iOS9.3 or later running on iPhone 5 and later. Android 4.4.4+ (KitKat) or later running on Samsung Galaxy S6 and later. Please Note: It is not possible for us to test all device models, therefore we have tried to focus on the most popular and widely used. While Windows Surface tablets, Windows Phone 8 or 10 may work, they are not officially supported and we specifically do not support Blackberry at this time.|
|Some browsers (Internet Explorer specifically) may require Adobe Flash for multimedia content and the course to advance|
|This site is best viewed with a minimum 1024x768 resolution. You will be able to view the site using other settings, however some features and formats may appear off-screen and require a user to scroll to see it.|
|Sound card with either speakers or headphones.|
|If you do not have broadband and you are using dial-up connection, you will have difficulty using our courses. Each course loads and plays videos and other media on the pages. Broadband connection (e.g. DSL, cable modem or FIOS) with 512kbps bandwidth or better required; dial-up connections will seriously impede full functionality and viewing multimedia content. NOTE: You can test your downstream bandwidth at websites such as http://speedof.me/. Just click Start Test.|