With data as a key decision-driver, having automated integrations is key to a seamless experience for organizations. EVERFI’s Public API (Application Programming Interface) for Foundry empowers organizations to build applications or leverage existing applications to send and receive valuable data and insights, saving time and deepening their understanding and management of system learners.
With EVERFI support, customers will receive expert insights on how to create and build a system that works best for their needs.*
Want a PDF of this page to send to your IT Team? Download it here.
*Note: At this time, EVERFI does not have out of the box APIs, but customers may build an API based on their requirements or EVERFI can suggest partners with whom you may work to contract out the API build.
EVERFI's Foundry API
The API allows organizations to maximize the value of Foundry and take deeper steps to know their users and keep things current by:
Integrating third-party systems like HRIS and CRM
Managing users by adding, updating, deactivating and reactivating
Retrieving users’ progress and learning activity
Grouping learners with common attributes such as location, category and labels to streamline assignments
Data Automation Benefits
Enabling the Foundry API improves efficiency by:
Automating data transferred between Foundry and other key systems
Leveraging data from Foundry and other systems to create a “best-in-class” data ecosystem
Eliminating manual processes and the potential for error
Strengthening the impact of Foundry and paired key enterprise-level systems
How it Works
Organizations will first make a secure POST and/or GET call via an SSL encrypted HTTP request. The service is protected by OAuth 2.0 using the client credentials grant workflow. The system that connects to the Foundry API must be able to send and receive HTTP web requests and responses using the JSON format.
1. Administrators will log into Foundry, click on “Settings” and then “Data Integration.” This will register an Application for the API.
2. A client ID and client secret will be generated. Click the copy button to copy the values to use in the application.
3. Using the OAuth2.0, client credentials grant workflow to use the client ID and client secret to get the access token.
4. Use the Program User Data API calls to retrieve data about users’ participation and course progress.
How it is Set Up
In order to implement the API, the IT department will need to be familiar with REST. It’s important to get them involved in this initiative early to ensure successful implementation. System, resource availability, and complexity of desired data points will impact the timeline for implementation.
1. EVERFI will turn on the API capability in Foundry.
2. EVERFI will provide the organization with documentation on how to access and configure.
3. Your IT team will begin the application build to connect the API to your system/application.
4. Your IT team will test the API Once the data is retrieved, your IT team will review it and provide feedback to EVERFI’s implementation team.
Detailed API Documentation
The EverFi API Postman Collection contains templates, detailed documentation and sample requests; everything you need to set up your API integration on Foundry. To download this collection so you can run it locally in your Postman desktop app, do the following steps.*
1. Open your Postman desktop app
2. In Postman, select the Workspace into which you want to add the EVERFI API Collection
3. In your browser, navigate to the EverFi API Postman Collection (link above)
4. Click the Run in Postman link on the upper right
5. In the Run in… window that opens, choose the Postman for Mac or Postman for Windows link as appropriate
6. The Collection will be downloaded into the open Workspace, so go to your Postman app and you should see the newly imported Collection
*Note: Updated November 2020. Postman may change these instructions in the future; please contact us for any edits.
Depending on your scenario, we have a couple of possible ways to keep your learners information accurate and up to date in Foundry through the API. Take a look here.
The API offers three different ways to manage a user’s custom categories and labels. Depending on the way you structure your API integration flow, you might employ one, two or all three techniques. Take a look in depth at the options here.
First, in your Foundry account, create an automated assignment or review the automated assignments you have in place. An automated assignment looks for and adds users who meet a certain set of criteria. Take note of the user filters that place users into that assignment. The most common filters are custom categories and location.
Next, when you add or update users, set the custom category and/or location properties that make the users get picked up in the automated assignment.
With automated assignments, all you need to do in the API is make sure users have the right properties and the automated assignment does the rest of the work. Your API integration doesn’t need to figure out which course is which and make the actual assignments to learners.
You most likely hit the API rate limit. See here for more details and resolutions.
If you are connecting Workday Studio to the Foundry API, download this CLAR file developed by an EVERFI partner for pointers. This is a starter template, not a complete solution, that illustrates authentication, token management, and a simple GET request. You will need to implement your own logic specific to your organization and your needs.
Filter by Platform
EVERFI offers dozens of courses across 4 different platforms. Select the platform(s) you use to easily find what's relevant to you.
If the course uses the Foundry platform it will have “fifoundry.net” OR "everfi-next.net" in the URL.
If the course uses the Homeroom platform it will have “platform.everfi.net” in the URL.
If the course uses the LawRoom platform it will have “lawroom.com” in the URL.
If the course uses the CampusClarity platform it will have "campusclarity.com" in the URL.